Over the Summer in 2011 I had quite a busy time. I had two internships. One was with liberty www.liberty.co.uk helping out their graphics department for a couple of days, and the other was with Duchamp menswear for two weeks http://www.duchamplondon.com/
Both were extremely enjoyable, and it was good to be out working in industry and meeting new people.
As well as the internships I also helped out at college for a few days with some Summer school classes. One was with adult learners and the other with school children. It involved taking visits out to the Barbara Hepworth Museum in Wakefield, and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Then helping with the print classes that followed the visits. It was really nice to be able to use my knowledge of the print room, and from my course to help others create their own work.
Monday, 11 June 2012
A friend of mine on Twitter, Marc (@marcpaterson) was making a short zombie film and asked if I would create something to appear in the film. At the beginning is a birthday scene and I produced some prints that were used as wrapping paper for the presents. I did them based around the theme of zombies. So there are weapons to kill zombies, the bio-hazard symbol with florals and brains.
You can see Marc's short film on YouTube:
Thursday, 12 May 2011
So it's all handed in and looking pretty in my studio space.
This is everything presented. My papers, mood boards, research file, sketchbooks and drawings.
Living Room Paper
Dining Room Paper
Friday, 6 May 2011
My second design for the wallpaper competition is for the living room. It has a bird, florals and a repeating sofa.
This design shows the repeat top and bottom and will be mirrored.
This is a quick mock-up of the bunnies and bedpans (chamber pots really). This is designed for a cloakroom.
Thursday, 5 May 2011
For the wallpaper competition I have been looking at a lot of William Morris designs. I am wanting to recreate the kind of patterns he produced using florals and incorporating small mammals, like mice and rabbits and also birds. But I also want to add a modern twist by adding inanimate objects relating to the rooms the wallpapers will be displayed in.
Drawing flowers in the garden.
Flowers from Newby Hall.
Last night I came up with my first design idea. The mouse I'd drawn previously, I decided would look great climbing up the handle of a fork.
The following images show the development of my image from the mouse and the fork, to the finished design. I added flowers and leaves before adding a pattern to the background.
The two separate designs will be scanned in, placed in repeat and colour added in Illustrator/Photoshop. I am going to keep the colours simple, with maybe 2 to 3 different colours. I don't want to detract away from the hand drawn image.
Wednesday, 13 April 2011
My last project of the year is a wallpaper design project. My research involves visiting stately homes. Yesterday I visited Newby Hall, and the following photos are pictures I took in the gardens of the house. There were some beautiful plants and flowers, in about a months time they should all be out and flowering. I particularly loved the magnolia trees.
Row's of magnolia trees
Monday, 11 April 2011
I have been using my iPhone a lot to take pictures and I'm really enjoying the effects you can get with some of the phone app's like Instagram and Hipstamatic. I've been experimenting with them, these are some of my favourite shots;
Fitting Room Pattern
Treeson Mini Series Figure
Papers in Paperchase